Welcome. I appreciate that you’re considering to work with me for your next project. For your benefit, I have put together these guidelines to provide a clear picture of the process.
A contract will need to be in place before starting. This will be beneficial to us both.
1.1 Types of Contracts
One out of these contract types will apply:
- Paid by Project: the most common type of contract. This will be for projects that fall under the services I provide which already have well defined prices (editing a podcast, creating a video for social media, etc).
- Recurring: for projects with a predictable recurrence, such as editing a weekly podcast.
- Paid by Milestone: for a project that is too expensive and/or extensive and can be broken down to smaller deliveries over time.
- Paid by the Hour: for any ongoing, ad hoc, unfamiliar and/or unstructured gigs.
1.2 Signing the Contract
2. Invoicing, Payments, VAT
It’s important to establish right from the beginning the expectations and procedures regarding invoicing and payments.
2.1 Invoicing by Contract Type
- Paid by Project: Invoice will be sent at the time of delivery.
- Recurring: Invoice will be sent at the time of delivery.
- Paid by Milestone: Invoice will be sent at the time of delivery.
- Paid by the Hour: Invoice will be sent every Sunday.
Payments are to be made within 7 days.
2.2 First-Time Clients
Long-time clients with a history of positive working experiences and payments made on time will get contracts with more flexible terms, such as being able to pay after the delivery of the work.
First-time clients will be required to pay a certain percentage of the cost upfront, and the rest before final delivery.
As an European Union freelancer, I must charge 23% VAT to some clients. Please read carefully this section to understand if you’ll be charged VAT or not.
- Registered Businesses / Sole Proprietors / Entrepreneurs living outside the EU will not be charged VAT.
- Registered Businesses / Sole Proprietors / Entrepreneurs living in the EU with a valid VAT number will not be charged VAT.
- All final consumers will be charged 23% VAT.
- EU companies without a valid VAT number will be considered a final consumer and be charged 23% VAT.
- Anyone residing in Portugal will be charged 23% VAT
3. Work Revisions
Something that concerns all clients is that they may not like exactly the delivered work by the freelancer. To reduce the chances of that happening, you should definitely do two things:
- Take a look at my portfolio and get a feeling of what my projects look and sounds like.
- Tell me as much information as you can about what you want and you may also want to find some references of other work to guide me.
This will certainly ensure that I will deliver you something that is similar to what you want (maybe even be better!). Once we reach that state, all the necessary minor revisions to get the work the way you like will be provided for free.
Use my pricing calculator to know more about the costs of my services.
Let’s Do It!
I am ready to start on your project.